Thursday, February 19, 2015

A Throw Back Thursday Image To A Warmer Day

I photographed one of the legendary Mermaid Parades on the Coney Island Boardwalk while Patrick and I lived in Brooklyn, New York. It was hilarious - I had so much fun - so many great moments and scenes to capture. I grew up in the Midwest, and there are so many things I love about this part of the country, but one thing I do appreciate about both the east and west coasts - people are more free to be different, to do the unexpected, to flaunt their uniqueness, to fly their so-called freak flags higher and more openly. You almost can't shock a New Yorker or a San Franciscan. There is much more of a live and let live philosophy, socially speaking, in such places, something the Midwest could use a big dose of. I myself would never feel comfortable strutting half naked down the Coney Island Boardwalk, but if a bunch of people do, and they end up making a parade out of it, more power to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment